FIRE CHIEF today announced the winners of its 12th annual Station Style Fire Station Design Awards, a program that recognizes outstanding architecture and design from fire departments nationwide. The winners were announced during a the webinar, 2012 Station Style Design Awards: Trends & Lessons Learned, in which three judges offered their insights on the superlative designs.
Gold, silver and bronze awards were announced in six categories: volunteer and combination stations, career stations, satellite stations, shared facilities, training facilities, and station renovations. A panel of two fire chiefs, one firefighter/architect and two architects judged the portfolios.
The winning entries are as follows:
Volunteer/Combination Fire Stations
- Gold: St. Louis Park (Minn.) Fire Station No. 1; DLR Group
- Silver: Hood River (Ore.) Fire Station; Group Mackenzie
- Bronze: Ponderosa Fire Station No. 62, Spring, Texas; Brown Reynolds Watford Architects
Career Fire Stations
- Gold: Buckeye (Ariz.) Firehouse No. 3; Perlman Architects of Arizona
- Silver: Los Angeles Regional Fire Station No. 82, Hollywood, Calif.; RRM Design Group
- Bronze: Springfield (Mass.) Fire Station No. 3; CR architecture + design and Dore & Whittier Architects
- Gold: Ellerslie Fire Station, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada; Johnston Davidson Architecture + Planning Inc and Architecture | Arndt Tkalcic Bengert
- Silver: Farmers Branch (Texas) Fire Station No. 1; Wiginton Hooker Jeffry Architects
- Bronze: Allen (Texas) Fire Station No. 5; Jeff Bulla, AIA, LEED AP, Pro Forma Architecture Inc.
- Gold: Lethbridge (Alberta, Canada) Fire Headquarters; Pacheco Ross Architects, PC
- Silver: Grand Canyon National Park Airport ARFF and Operations Building, Tusayan, Ariz.; LEA-Architects
- Bronze: Wesley Chapel VFD Fire Station No. 26, Garner & Brown Architects
- Gold: Central Yavapai Regional Training Academy, Prescott Valley, Ariz.; LEA-Architects
- Silver: Carlsbad (Calif.) Safety Training Center; RRM Design Group
- Bronze: NWFD Training Facility, Marana, Ariz.; Perlman Architects of Arizona
- Gold: Niskayuna (N.Y.) Fire District No. 1; Pacheco Ross Architects, PC
- Silver: St. Joseph (Mo.) Fire Station No. 12; Williams Spurgeon Kuhl & Freshnock Architects
- Bronze: Fire Station No. 57 Renovation, Gig Harbor, Wash.; Rice Fergus Miller
All participating entries will be published in the November print edition.