The Jones Farm ARFF station service area encompasses a 5-minute response time, including the Hillsboro airport and billions of dollars of high-tech facilities. The station has direct access to the taxiway. This proximity to the airport necessitated coordination with the Port of Portland (owner/operator) and FAA during design and construction.
A replacement station, the Jones Farm Fire Station is the second of two sister stations. The stations feature similar floor plans with three drive-through apparatus bays each, training rooms, office space, and staff facilities. The buildings are designed with masonry block shells and curved metal roofs. The LEED Gold-certified stations feature 21-kW photovoltaic arrays.
Given the relatively small site size of less than 1.1 acres and airport adjacency, the site required careful coordination and phasing during construction as all parking and materials staging had to remain within the site footprint. Another special consideration prompted by the proximity to jet takeoffs and the helipad was acoustical engineering. The envelope was engineered with roof and skin details to ensure the station was well acoustically isolated to preserve all functions of the facility, particularly the training room/EOC and bunk room areas.
- Firm: Group Mackenzie
- Jeff Humphreys, AIA, LEED AP BD+C, Principal/Project Manager, Group Mackenzie
- Monica Ahlers, Job Captain, Group Mackenzie
- Josh McDowell, SE, LEED AP, Structural Engineer, Group Mackenzie
- Bob Frentress, PE, LEED AP, Civil Engineer, Group Mackenzie
- Rhys Konrad, LEED AP, Land Use Planner, Group Mackenzie
- Chris Larson, PE, LEED AP, M/E/P Engineer, Interface Engineering
- Kent Mckelvie, Acoustical Engineer, Altermatt Associates
- Randy Peterson, Construction Superintendent, P&C Construction
- Brian Shoemaker, Construction Project Manager, P&C Construction
- Karl Dinger, City Project Manager, City of Hillsboro
- Client: Hillsboro Fire & Rescue
- Location: Hillsboro, Oregon
- Fire Chief: Greg Nelson
- Project Area: 13,458 sq. ft.
- Total Cost: $3,415,685
- Cost per Square Foot: $254
- Completion Date: January 2012
- Does Total Cost Include Site Work?: Yes
- Is the Facility Sprinklered?: Yes