The design team of Johnston Davidson Architecture + Planning Inc. and Architecture | Arndt Tkalcic Bengert collaborated to design a new satellite fire station. This 1-story fire station with three drive-through apparatus bays provides Edmonton Fire Rescue Services with excellent response and suppression coverage for the area.
Siting of the building was key on this long, shallow, rectangular corner site, which created a challenge of fitting the building's footprint across its width while not compromising functionality or quality. With 10 dorm rooms, access to natural light and view were important design goals, which were addressed by creating two interior courtyards allowing for additional windows within the rectangular street façade. The integration of exterior materials such as brick, zinc and exposed glulams is carried into the interior spaces with natural concrete floors and masonry walls.
In addition to implementing sustainable design and striving to earn a LEED-NC Silver certification, the design meets Edmonton's extreme climactic characteristics and enjoys improved energy efficiency.
As a result, the design team has provided the client and community with a quality project that meets the standards of their already considerable inventory of fire stations and sets the tone for good urban design.
- Firms: Johnston Davidson Architecture Planning Inc. and Architecture | Arndt Tkalcic Bengert
- Kimberly Johnston, Principal, MAIBC, MRAIC, LEED AP, Design Architect, Johnston Davidson Architecture + Planning Inc.
- Brian Bengert, Partner, AAA, MRAIC, LEED AP, Project Architect, Architecture | Arndt Tkalcic Bengert
- Kevin Osborne, C.E.T., Project Architect, Architecture | Arndt Tkalcic Bengert
- Jane Brady, LID, LEED AP, Senior Interior Designer, Architecture | Arndt Tkalcic Bengert
- Frank Cavaliere, Associate, B.Sc., P.Eng., Structural Engineer, Read Jones Christoffersen Consulting Engineers
- Bill Temple, Principal, LEED AP, Mechanical Engineer, Stantec Consulting
- Brad Herst, C.E.T., Electrical Engineer, Stantec Consulting
- David Price, BLA, Landscape Architect, Stantec Consulting
- Don Hall, Senior Associate, Civil Engineer, Stantec Consulting
- Mario Caligiuri, LEED AP, Project Manager, City of Edmonton
- Client: Edmonton Fire Rescue Services
- Location: Edmonton, Canada - Alberta
- Fire Chief: Ken Block
- Project Area: 19,633 sq. ft.
- Total Cost: $5,840,746
- Cost per Square Foot: $297
- Completion Date: June 2012
- Does Total Cost Include Site Work?: Yes
- Is the Facility Sprinklered?: Yes