The application period for the FY 2011 Staffing for Adequate Fire and Emergency Response (SAFER) Grant is open now through Feb. 24.
All SAFER applicants should read the new FY 2011 SAFER Grants Program Guidance to fully understand the FY 2011 award criteria, funding priorities, and important special application instructions for completing the application. For more information, visit the grants program website.
The grant program conditions described below are in effect only for the FY 2011 SAFER Grants; they are not retroactive to previous fiscal years and do not apply beyond the FY 2011 SAFER Grants Program.
- Salary limits: There are no annual salary limits
- Grantee cost share: There is no prescribed cost-share
- No retention commitment: Grantees that are hiring firefighterswhether they be rehires, new hires, or retained firefightersdo not have to commit to retaining the SAFER-funded firefighters beyond the period of performance. However, no firefighter layoffs are permittedof either SAFER-funded on non-SAFER firefightersduring the grant's period of performance
- Period of performance: For the Hiring of Firefighters Category grants, the period of performance has been reduced to 2 years.
- Attrition of firefighters: FY 2011 grantees who are unable to back-fill firefighting positions that are vacated due to documentable economic hardship may petition for a waiver of staffing maintenance requirements. To qualify for this waiver, the economic hardship must affect the entire public safety sector in the jurisdiction and not only the fire department.
- First priority: Rehiring laid-off firefighters
- Second priority: Retention of firefighters who face imminent layoff and/or filling positions vacated through attrition but not filled due to economic circumstances
- Third priority: Hiring new firefighters